It takes less than 10 seconds for someone to decide whether to stay on your website
What’s it all about, this copy business?
‘Copy’ is a collection of words; ‘copywriting’ is the service I provide. ‘Content creation’ ‘informs’, whereas advertising copy ‘sells’.
Copy is just words – used in the right place, in the right order.
Anyone can write, right? Not really. It can be a false economy to engage someone just because they are cheap, but I’ll leave that to you. You’ll always be able to find someone cheaper and many charge a lot more. The thing is to find the right person for your job.
Image: Turner’s View, Richmond Hill. You can see his painting in the Tate. Turner shared his birthday with Shakespeare and the Prince Regent.
Need help with your website?
If the copy is for a website, it needs to get the visitor there in the first place with compelling, succinct writing and solid SEO; and hopefully keep them there, with a low bounce rate. I’m SEO-certified and a keen user of social media, all good news if you are looking for a digital copywriter. You should also consider a regular blog post to drive visitors to your website. I can help with that too.
Common copy problems – let me help
• Your website may be looking a bit tired
• Your business may have changed direction and you need new copy
• Your existing copy is confusing, boring and too wordy – or all three
• You need some blogs writing
• Your copy doesn’t read well and needs editing
Fees and my terms: the main bits
“It depends” is not a very helpful response to “How much, roughly?” but it really does. All my pricing is transparent and you will get a full quote before work starts. I have a minimum charge of £150 per assignment and my day rate is normally £350. Work is either calculated at a day rate (seven hours) or a project rate. Price depends on complexity of the work; two revisions are normally included in the quoted price. VAT will be added to all invoices. Terms are 15 days. New clients are required to provide 50% of the fee upfront. You fill in a quick questionnaire about the work required, return the signed contract and deposit agreed funds (if applicable) before work starts, so you know exactly where you are. Any questions? Just ask.
What I can write for you
Examples of work I enjoy (not an exhaustive list):
• Write website copy – digital copy should read naturally but with strong SEO awareness (just stuffing pages with key words is old hat)
• Rewrite website copy so it reads better
• Reinvigorate your website copy – the copy should change and evolve over time, in tune with the business; it’s not a static thing like a building
• Write lively blog posts in the correct tone of voice
• Case studies by interview. This is a popular way to show work you have done for your clients. They tell you what their problem was and how you solved it.
• Write easy to understand training manuals
• Write brochure copy
• Write product information or instructions in an informative but interesting way
• Write advertising flyers with compelling calls to action
• Devise a social media strategy and set up relevant channels: blog posts, Twitter account, Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook page.